Group Software Lead and Senior Software Engineer Manager
- Senior Software Engineering Manager and Group Development Lead (Feb 15, 2022 - Present)
- Senior Cloud Engineering Manager (Oct 1, 2020 - Feb 14, 2022)
- Lead Cloud Engineer (April 5, 2018 - Oct 1, 2020)
- Senior Cloud Engineer (August 1, 2016 - April 4, 2018): Received MVP 2017 for Exceptional Work with Data Analytics Platform
- Cloud Engineer (June 30, 2015 - July 31, 2016)
- Associate Cloud Engineer (July 7, 2015 - June 30, 2015)
Appian Corporation, Tysons, VA
Appian is a market leader in Low Code Platforms. With Appian, you can build enterprise apps and workflows rapidly. Our unified low-code platform and solutions maximize your resources and dramatically improve your business results. Solve your business process challenges.
My Role Now
I'm the Group Software Development Lead for Cloud Services at Appian i.e. responsible for all development of our cloud infrastructure. Almost all of Appian's production workload is managed and run by my group of engineers. I manage, support and align 5 autonomous squads (>30 direct and in-direct reports) within Cloud to ensure effort is focused on positive outcomes for our customers, Appian and our engineers. I lead, build and manage effective teams with high employee satisfaction, low attrition, and continuous staff growth. Regularly receive highest leadership & management ratings via Glint survey results. Impact driven and versatile business leader who can focuses on delivery and execution on any major business initiatives. I also encourage innovation that will increase customer value and technology leverage. My goal is to build the right thing for Appian and our customers.
Senior Cloud Engineering Manager (Oct 1, 2020 - Feb 14, 2022)
Lead a team of 12 engineers, and manage 6 direct reports. Manage team's vision, growth, and roadmap prioritization. Principal recruitment lead and point of contact to manage team's talent acquisition of all levels. Provide technical leadership on key projects. Coach team members and provide support on career development. Completed Appian MBA - an invite-only senior leadership development program for rising managers at Appian.
Lead Cloud Engineer (April 5, 2018 - Oct 1, 2020)
Technical lead for the Shared Infrastructure Squad at Appian Cloud responsible for Web Layer, monitoring, analytics, centralized logging, routing, etc. As a manager, responsible for growth management and career development of direct reports. Management of team's backlog, roadmap, prioritization and vision.
Senior Cloud Engineer (August 1, 2016 - April 4, 2018): Received MVP 2017 for Exceptional Work with Data Analytics Platform
- Built Auto-scaling Web Layer service which automatically adds or reduces web layer. This is a custom built solution and a lot smarter than what AWS typically provides.
- Built Elastic Web Layer service for automatically starting and stopping web servers with the click of a button. The deployment of web servers would take several hours but now can be done in a minutes.
- Developed a data storage and analytics platform with real time data streaming to give insights into operational data which is transforming the way Appian performs data analytics. I am one of the core engineers who built this platform to stream billions of data points every day into several data lakes which are consumed by several departments to perform Analytics and Machine Learning tasks on this.
- Completed AWS Solutions Architect Professional/Advanced certification and gained advanced cloud computing skills to build highly fault tolerant, cost effective and scalable solutions. This certification is extremely hard and only a small percentage of AWS practitioners achieve this.
- Led and helped in migration of customers from on-premise to Appian Cloud platform. Developed several tools and scripts using Java, AWS, Bash, etc. to automate aspects to make this transition extremely smooth and fast.
- Leading interactions as primary POC to work with AWS Team to solve mission critical issues.
- Developed centralized logging framework for collection and storage of metrics from thousands of servers across the world.
- Led the projects for developing the following applications. Worked with cloud management, architects and senior engineers to perform business requirement analysis, design, implement, test and deploy these applications. Used Appian BPM platform, proprietary SAIL interface development language and MySQL to build these:
- Server Metrics Performance Trends - This application collects data from all Appian Cloud instances and builds reports in real time to help engineers track the performance of all servers including application servers, Appian engine servers, MySQL servers, etc. This reduced the time taken to diagnose issues because engineers are now able to find correlation between trends of server health metrics associated with performance issues a lot faster.
- Monitoring - This application is vital to Appian cloud as it monitors the health of all Appian cloud instances and helps in proactively resolving any issue without the client ever knowing about the same. This required re-designing and implementing the front end of the application and the notification system. Currently, working on improving the java backend application which collects the data from all Appian Cloud instances.
- Tracking Total Uptime - This application tracks total uptime/SLA for all production Appian cloud instances. Automatically gathers data from monitoring application to get unscheduled downtime and change management to get scheduled downtime. This helped senior cloud management and product engineers to decide what features to prioritize in the product to increase the availability of all Appian cloud instances.
- Customer Site Revert, Clone and Backload – Automates the processes for reverting and cloning a site as well as back-loading the data from one site to another using backups. These help in resolving disaster recovery scenarios, internal testing, customer issues, etc.
- Developed internal cloud training program and contributed significantly to internal cloud knowledge base (documents and presentations for knowledge transfer) to help train cloud engineers. Trained and provided knowledge transfer to newer members of the team including senior cloud engineers and technical support engineers.
- Perform root cause analysis and follow-through on resolving the root cause of system issues for all Appian cloud instances. Worked with several departments across the company to arrive at solutions for such problems.
- Administer configurations of Appian Cloud in AWS including but not limited to integrations, authentication, monitoring, network and storage. Work extensively with SSO SAML, VPN and LDAP. Developed business process applications to benefit Appian Cloud operations.